Black Power Hummus By Tanya Fields
Spice up your hummus routine with this upgraded Black Power hummus. Cayenne pepper, black beans, cumin, and other spices make this hummus the ultimate party dip.
August 14, 2023
50% would make again
for 4 servings
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (60 mL)
- ½ cup tahini (120 mL)
- ½ cup olive oil (120 mL), divided, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- water, as needed
- gluten free cracker, pita, or fresh vegetables, for serving
- Calories 598
- Fat 40g
- Carbs 47g
- Fiber 15g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 17g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the lemon juice and tahini. Blend together. With the processor running, pour in ½ cup (120 ml) olive oil and blend for another minute, scraping down sides of the processor halfway through.
- Add the chickpeas, salt, cumin, and cayenne and blend for about 30–60 seconds, then scrape down the sides again. Add the black beans, sesame oil, and garlic and blend again, adding water 1 tablespoon at a time as needed while the processor is running until the hummus is smooth and the chickpeas and black beans are completely broken down. You may have some dark specks from the black bean skins. Season with more salt to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl and use the back of a spoon to create a well in the center. Pour in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Serve with your favorite whole wheat or gluten-free crackers, pita, or veggies.
- Ready for a smarter way to find recipes? Use Botatouille, our AI-powered food genius in the Tasty app. Download here