89% would make again
Breakfast Potato Volcanoes
featured in Potato Recipes That Are Better Than Fries
These breakfast potato volcanoes are an fun and delicious way to start your day. They're wrapped in crispy bacon, and stuffed with gooey cheese and a perfectly cooked egg, making them the ultimate breakfast indulgence.
May 05, 2023
for 6 servings
- 3 russet potatoes
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (100 g)
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Calories 475
- Fat 26g
- Carbs 28g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 1g
- Protein 28g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- On a cutting board, peel potatoes then cut each in half widthwise.
- Using a melon ball scooper or a metal teaspoon hollow out the potato starting from the cut side, once you have most of the potato hollowed out from that side create a smaller hole on the rounded side and continue hollowing until you can see through the potato.
- Place potatoes in water to avoid discoloration while you finish hollowing out the rest.
- Place potatoes with the smaller hole facing up on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Wrap one piece of bacon and each potato, tucking in the end of the bacon so it stays in place. You might need to use a toothpick to hold the bacon in place.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until bacon reaches desired crispiness.
- Allow potatoes to cool slightly then press cheddar cheese into the bottom of the potato.
- Crack an egg over the top hole of the potato being careful not to let too much of the egg white pour over the side.
- Sprinkle chives over the egg.
- Bake for 6 to 12 minutes depending on how well done you would like your eggs.
- Let cool before serving.