93% would make again
Cape Verde Arroz De Marisco By Kiki Canuto
featured in Party Rice Around Africa
Dive into the flavors of Cape Verde with Kiki Canuto's Arroz de Marisco! This seafood rice dish is a delightful medley of shrimp, clams, and mussels, all simmered to perfection in a savory tomato sauce.
May 05, 2023
for 8 servings
- 2 cups long grain rice (400 g), white, rinsed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 5 ⅓ cups water (1.2 L), divided
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 oz frozen calamari (225 g), 1 package, defrosted
- 1 lb medium shrimp (455 g), shell on, approx 35
- ½ lb fresh mussel (225 g), shell on
- 1 cup frozen organic peas (150 g), defrosted
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, plus whole parsley leaves for garnish
- Calories 266
- Fat 13g
- Carbs 16g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 19g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In an medium pot over high heat, combine the rice, bay leaves, 2 tablespoons of butter, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 4⅓ cups (1 L) of water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and fluffy.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil. Toss in the peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook until the onion is slightly translucent, 8-10 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes, remaining teaspoon of salt, the tomato paste, and remaining cup (240 ml) of water. Stir, cover, and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the calamari, shrimp, mussels, and peas. Stir and cover with the lid. Cook until the mussel shells open, 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the lemon juice, remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, and chopped parsley then stir.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a large bowl.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop the seafood mixture over the rice. Stir to combine, add ½ cup (120 ml) of the seafood braising liquid, and stir once more.
- Garnish with parsley leaves (optional).