Carnitas Steamed Buns
featured in 6 Ways To Enjoy Buns
A fluffy and soft steamed bun filled with tender carnitas, pickled onions, and a spicy sauce for a delicious twist on the classic sandwich.
August 14, 2023
94% would make again
for 10 balls
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lb pork shoulder (1.3 kg)
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 jalapeñoes, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup lime juice (60 mL)
- ½ cup orange juice (120 mL)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup warm water (235 mL)
- 3 cups flour (375 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Calories 580
- Fat 29g
- Carbs 40g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 36g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- For the slow cooker carnitas: Combine the spices in a bowl and rub all over the pork shoulder.
- Add the onions and jalapeños to a slow cooker, then place the pork shoulder on top. Add the lime juice, orange juice and garlic cloves.
- Cover and cook low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- For the buns: Dissolve instant yeast, sugar and warm water in a small bowl. Let it proof/activate for 5 minutes or until bubbly or foamy.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, salt and baking powder).
- Add the yeast mix to the dry ingredients, knead to form ball of dough.
- Place ball of dough into greased bowl, cover and proof dough for 1 hour or until double in size.
- Punch down dough, roll out and cut into golf ball sized pieces. Cover and rest the golf ball sized dough balls for 15 minutes.
- When slow cooker carnitas are done, pull apart with a fork and transfer to a separate bowl. Keep the juices in the slow cooker and use it for a dipping sauce later.
- When ready, prepare your steamer over high heat.
- Flatten each dough ball, add about a tablespoon of pulled carnitas to the center and pull the sides of the dough around the filling.
- Place seam side down on a piece of parchment paper. Steam for 15 minutes.
- Serve with the slow cooker juices as a dipping sauce. If the dipping sauce has too much fat, skim the fat.
- Your favorite recipes are just a click away. Download the Tasty app to save and organize your favorites.