Cheese-Stuffed Mushroom Burger
Get ready to rock your taste buds with this groovy vegetarian burger that's all about the cheese explosion! Two portobello mushroom caps are stuffed with cheese, then breaded and fried to crispy perfection. It's a burger that'll make your taste buds go 'BAM!' and leave you craving more!
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 1 serving
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- 1 slice swiss cheese
- 1 slice american cheese
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (60 g)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup bread crumbs (60 g)
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ tablespoon hot chili sauce
- 1 burger bun
- sliced tomato
- sliced onion, sliced
- Calories 1478
- Fat 68g
- Carbs 172g
- Fiber 9g
- Sugar 17g
- Protein 41g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Line a microwave-safe plate with paper towels. Place the portobello mushroom caps on the paper towels, then cover with two more paper towels. Top with another plate. Microwave for 4 minutes.
- Place the slice of Swiss cheese on a flat surface then place the slice of American cheese on top. Fold in the corners of the American cheese, then the Swiss cheese, to make a small square.
- Place the cheese square on one mushroom cap, then sandwich the other mushroom cap on top, pressing down to make sure the edges of the mushrooms are touching. Wrap the mushroom burger tightly in plastic wrap, twisting the ends to remove any air, then refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, and hot chili sauce. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan until the temperature reaches 375ºF (190ºC).
- Add the flour, egg, and bread crumbs to 3 separate bowls.
- Unwrap the mushroom burger, then coat in the flour, then the egg, then the bread crumbs. Dip in the egg and bread crumbs one more time.
- Add the mushroom burger to the hot oil and fry for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess the oil and cool, 1-2 minutes.
- To serve, spread the sauce on each side of the bun, then stack lettuce, the mushroom burger, onion, and tomato on the bottom bun. Finish with the top bun.
- Hate losing that perfect recipe? Save and organize recipes easily on the Tasty app. Download now.