featured in 5 Chinese Inspired Takeout Dishes
Classic for a reason, these crispy and tender chicken bites are tossed in a sweet and spicy orange glaze. This dish is a flavorful and satisfying!
August 17, 2023
92% would make again
for 1 serving
- 1 ¼ cups boneless, skinless chicken breasts (150 g), diced
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 cups neutral oil (500 mL)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (50 g)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (50 g)
- ¼ cup chicken stock (50 mL)
- 1 orange, zested
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- cooked rice, for serving
- thinly sliced scallion, for garnish
- sesame seed, for garnish
- sliced red chile, for garnish
- Add the chicken to a large bowl, along with the orange zest, garlic, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix well, then marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until the temperature reaches 325°F (170°C),
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and coat in the flour, then the eggs, then the panko.
- Working in batches, fry the breaded chicken in the hot oil for 3-4 minutes, until the coating is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through. Transfer to a paper towel-lined tray to drain.
- Make the orange sauce: In a medium pan, combine the chicken stock, orange zest and juice, and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Mix the cornflour with the water, then add the slurry to the sauce and cook until thickened.
- Add the chicken to the pan and toss to coat with the orange sauce.
- Serve on top of rice with scallions, sesame seeds, and/or sliced red chiles for garnish.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.