99% would make again
Pineapple Sweet & Sour Chicken
Inspired by tasty.co
for 4 servings
- 1 ½ lb chicken breast (680 g), chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup cornstarch (125 g), plus 1 tbsp, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 pineapple
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup white onion (75 g), chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- ¼ cup rice vinegar (60 mL)
- ¼ cup sugar (50 g)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- white rice, cooked, for serving
- scallion, sliced, for garnish
- sesame seed, for garnish
- Calories 529
- Fat 12g
- Carbs 65g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 31g
- Protein 38g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken with 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and 1 egg. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Cut the pineapple in half lengthwise and carefully cube the fruit in each half, leaving the outside of the pineapple intact. Scoop out the cubed pineapple and set aside.
- Place the remaining cup of cornstarch in a separate large bowl and toss the marinated chicken pieces until liberally coated. Shake off excess.
- Fill medium pot halfway with oil and heat until the oil reaches 350˚F (180°C).
- Fry the chicken for 4-5 minutes, until the coating is golden brown and the chicken is cooked throughout. Transfer to a wire rack set over paper towels to drain.
- To make the sauce, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat. Sauté the bell pepper and onion for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and cook until fragrant.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, and ketchup, and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the pineapple cubes and warm thorough.
- Add the chicken to the frying pan and toss to coat with the sauce.
- Scoop the mixture into the hollowed out pineapple along with a scoop of rice.
- Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.