Chocolate Caramel Oat Bars (Carmelitas)
Get ready for a gooey and decadent treat that will have you coming back for seconds (and thirds!). Layers of luscious caramel, rich chocolate, and chewy oats come together in these irresistible bars that are a symphony of flavors and textures. They're perfect for indulging your sweet tooth or impressing your guests with a homemade dessert!
for 20 bars
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 2 cups quick oats (200 g)
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour (220 g)
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar (330 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter (240 mL)
- 2 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips (435 g), divided
- 50 soft caramel candies, unwrapped
- ½ cup heavy cream (120 mL)
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175˚C). Line a 9x13-inch (22 x 33 cm) baking pan with parchment paper and lightly coat with a nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and melted butter. Mix until well-combined with a crumbly consistency.
- Pour about half of the oat mixture into the pan and press with the back of a spoon or spatula into a compact, even layer. Save the remaining oat mixture.
- Pour 2 cups (350 grams) of the chocolate chips over the oat mixture and spread them out evenly.
- In a small saucepan, melt together the caramels and heavy cream over medium-low heat until smooth.
- Pour the melted caramel over the chocolate chips and oat mixture, spreading the caramel until it covers the chocolate chips.
- Scatter the rest of the oat mixture over the caramel and spread out evenly. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust has turned a golden brown. (Times and temperatures may vary from oven to oven). Allow to cool COMPLETELY before cutting into bars.
- Your favorite recipes are just a click away. Download the Tasty app to save and organize your favorites.