92% would make again
Chocolate Caramel Oat Bars (Carmelitas)
featured in Caramel Dessert Options!
for 20 bars
- 2 cups quick oat (200 g)
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour (220 g)
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar (330 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup melted butter (240 mL)
- 2 ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips (435 g)
- 50 soft caramel candies, unwrapped
- ½ cup heavy cream (120 mL)
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F (175˚C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and melted butter. Mix until well combined and has a crumbly consistency.
- Line a 9x13 (22 x 33 cm) baking pan with parchment paper and lightly coat with a nonstick spray.
- Pour about ½ of the oat mixture into the pan and press with the back of a spoon or spatula until it's nice and compact. Save the other ½ of the oat mixture for later.
- Pour two cups (350 grams) of chocolate chips over the oat mixture and spread them out evenly. Save the ½ cup (85 grams) for the top.
- In a saucepan, melt the soft caramels, and the heavy cream until it becomes a smooth.
- Pour melted caramel over the chocolate chips and oat mixture. Carefully spread the caramel until it covers the chocolate.
- Pour the rest of the oat mixture over the caramel and spread out evenly.
- Add the other ½ cup of chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust has turned a golden brown. (Times and temperatures may vary from oven to oven). Allow to cool COMPLETELY before cutting into bars.