97% would make again
Classic Hot Crab Dip For A Crowd
featured in Crab Feast To Make At Home
for 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup yellow onion (150 g), finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lb jumbo lump crabmeat (455 g)
- 6 oz cream cheese (200 g), room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons old bay seasoning, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (100 g), divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, thinly sliced, for garnish
- carrot stick, for serving
- celery stick, for serving
- cracker, for serving
- crostini, for serving
- Calories 386
- Fat 27g
- Carbs 6g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 26g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 325˚F (160˚C).
- Melt the butter in a medium pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic, and salt. Cook for 12-15 minutes, until the onions are caramelized. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl to cool completely.
- Using a fine-mesh strainer, drain crab meat over a bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, Worcestershire, hot sauce, Old Bay, and lemon juice. Using an electric mixer, beat together until well combined. With a flexible spatula, fold in the onion mixture, ¾ cup (75 grams) cheddar cheese, and the crab meat.
- Transfer the dip to a 1-quart baking dish. Top evenly with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the mixture is just beginning to bubble around the edges and the cheese is melted.
- Heat the broiler to low. Broil dip for 3 minutes, until the whole surface is bubbling and browned. Remove the dip from the oven. Let cool for at least 15 minutes, until set.
- Garnish the dip with Old Bay and chives. Serve with carrot sticks, celery sticks, crackers, and crostini.