96% would make again
Crunchy Salt And Pepper Shrimp
featured in Homemade Shrimp And Lobster Fest
Inspired by chinasichuanfood.com
for 3 servings
- 1 lb frozen shrimp (455 g), peeled and deveined, tails left on
- 1 cup cornstarch (125 g)
- 3 cups oil (720 mL)
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- ¼ cup scallions (25 g), sliced
- white rice, cooked, for serving
- Set a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- Add the shrimp to a medium bowl. Cover with cold water and let sit until thawed, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the thawed shrimp on paper towels and pat dry.
- Place the cornstarch in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and toss until well-coated.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large pan until it reaches 400°F (200°C).
- Add the garlic and fry for 40 seconds-1 minute, until golden brown. Remove the garlic with a strainer or slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Fry the shrimp, about 6 at a time, for 2 minutes, or until light golden brown. Transfer to the wire rack to drain.
- In a clean wok or large pan, add the ginger and red pepper flakes and toast for 2 minutes, until the ginger is starting to brown.
- Add the shrimp and toss to combine. Season with the salt and pepper and toss until well-coated.
- Transfer the shrimp to a plate and garnish with the scallions and fried garlic.
- Serve with rice.