95% would make again
Easy Juicy Chicken Marsala
featured in 6 Easy Gourmet Date Nights
Inspired by cooksillustrated.com
for 6 servings
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125 g)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup shallot (75 g), minced
- 1 lb cremini mushroom (455 g), trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 cups dry Marsala wine (470 mL)
- 2 cups chicken stock (470 mL)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- fresh parsley, for serving
- 1 lb Cooked pasta, potatoes, or rice (455 g), for serving
- Calories 982
- Fat 36g
- Carbs 109g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 45g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Cut each chicken breast in half crosswise, then cut the larger, thicker half again horizontally, creating 3 equally thick cutlets. Place the flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder in a wide, shallow dish and stir to combine. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture, shaking gently to remove any excess flour, and set aside.
- Heat the oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in batches to prevent overcrowding. Cook the chicken until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side, another 3 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- To the same, now empt pan with leftover oil and butter, add the garlic, shallots, and cremini mushrooms, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pan until the mushrooms are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the Marsala wine and scrape all the caramelized bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken stock and lemon juice, and allow mixture to come to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Turn off the heat. Add 2 tablespoons of cold butter and stir until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Add the cooked chicken to the sauce, and simmer for 5 more minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with pasta, potatoes, or rice.