96% would make again
Low-Carb Beef Stroganoff
featured in Classic Beef Stroganoff Recipes
June 10, 2019
for 4 servings
- 1 ½ lb sirloin steak (680 g), cut into 1-inch (2 cm) cubes
- kosher salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- oil, to taste
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 lb mushroom (455 g), sliced
- 1 cup beef broth (240 mL)
- ½ cup sour cream (115 g)
- 1 large zucchini
- thinly sliced chive, for garnish
- Calories 455
- Fat 28g
- Carbs 21g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 27g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, season the sirloin liberally with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Heat a bit of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Place half of the cubed meat in the pan, spacing out to avoid overcrowding. Sear on each side for 1 minute, until well-browned. Transfer the seared beef to a bowl and repeat with the remaining meat.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt. Sauté until all of moisture has been release from the mushrooms and evaporated and the onions have caramelized, about 12 minutes.
- Add the beef broth and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Once the liquid has thickened slightly, mix a few tablespoons of the hot broth with the sour cream in a small bowl--this will temper the sour cream and keep it from curdling. Add the sour cream mixture to the broth and mix until incorporated.
- Once the liquid has thickened slightly, add the seasoned sirloin and any juices that have collected in the bowl.
- Stir the the contents of the pot until the meat has cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Use a vegetable peeler to slice the zucchini into ribbons.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the zucchini ribbons and a pinch of salt and toss until the zucchini has wilted slightly, about 1 minute. Immediately transfer the zucchini to serving dishes to stop cooking.
- Top the zucchini with the stroganoff and a sprinkle of chives.