Elevated Hamburger Helper
This one-pot dinner will have you feeling nostalgic for the boxed version without the preservatives and additives.
for 4 servings
- 8 oz bacon (225 g), chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- ½ cup minced red bell pepper (50 g)
- 1 cup shredded carrots (100 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 lb lean ground beef (425 g)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, preferable double-concentrated
- 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cups beef stock (720 mL)
- 2 cups whole milk (480 mL)
- 1 lb uncooked pasta shells (425 g), or short noodles of choice
- 2 cups shredded smoked gouda cheese (200 g)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (200 g)
- finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Calories 1853
- Fat 87g
- Carbs 154g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 28g
- Protein 98g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the bacon to a large pot. Turn the heat to medium-high and cook until crispy, 5–7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the rendered bacon fat in the pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion to the pot. Cook until softened, 5–7 minutes. Add the red bell pepper, carrots, and garlic. Cook until softened, 2–3 minutes more.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the ground beef to the pan. Break up the beef with spatula and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add the paprika and tomato paste. Cook until fragrant and the tomato paste turns brick-red in color, 2–3 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, beef stock, and milk and bring to a low boil.
- Once the liquid is boiling, add the pasta shells. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are al dente and they have absorbed most of the liquid. NOTE: The timing will differ depending on what type of noodles you use.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the Gouda and cheddar cheeses until melted. Fold in the cooked bacon.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.