Fish And Chips
featured in Recipes To Feel Like You Traveled The World
Take a trip across the pond with this classic British favorite. Served with a side of tartar sauce and a squeeze of lemon, this dish is a comforting and satisfying treat.
May 04, 2023
93% would make again
for 4 servings
- 3 russet potatoes, cut into fried
- canola oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 lb cod fillets (910 g)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (310 g), divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 bottle beer
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
- tartar sauce, for serving
- ketchup, for serving
- malt vinegar, for serving
- Calories 720
- Fat 8g
- Carbs 102g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 52g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the potatoes to a bowl of cold water to remove excess starch and prevent discoloration.
- Pour oil to a depth of 6 inches (15 cm) in a large heavy pot. Heat over medium-high heat until oil reaches 325˚F (160˚C).
- Drain the potatoes and blot dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Working in batches, fry the potatoes in the hot oil for about 5 minutes, or until pale golden. With a slotted spoon or spider, transfer to a wire rack to drain. Season with salt.
- Increase the heat to high. When the oil temperature reaches 375˚F (190˚C), return the fries to the pot and fry until golden brown. Transfer to the rack to drain again and season with more salt.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high to let the oil temperature reduce to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Pat the cod fillets dry with a paper towel. Season all over with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 cup (125 G) of flour to a plate. Dredge the cod in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the remaining 1½ cups (185 G) of flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and baking powder. Gradually add the beer, whisking until smooth.
- Dip the dredged cod in the batter, turning to coat completely.
- Fry the cod in the hot oil until golden brown on all sides, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to drain for 3 minutes. Season with salt.
- Garnish the fish and chips with parsley and serve with lemon wedges, tartar sauce, ketchup, and malt vinegar.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.