58% would make again
Giant Raindrop Cake
featured in Mesmerizing Desserts You Can Make At Home
October 03, 2019
for 10 servings
- 8 cups cold water (1.9 L)
- 2 ¾ teaspoons japanese agar agar powder
- 1 tablespoon ultra-fine baker's sugar
Brown Sugar Syrup
- 2 cups golden brown sugar (440 g)
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- soybean flour, roasted
- Calories 111
- Fat 0g
- Carbs 28g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 28g
- Protein 0g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- To a large pot, add the 8 cups (2 L) of cold water and sprinkle in the agar agar powder. Whisk to combine. Let the agar dissolve in the water for about 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Add the sugar and whisk again to combine.
- Place the pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 minutes, until all of the agar and sugar have dissolved, then remove from the heat. Do not keep over the heat for too long or the agar will denature!
- Pour the agar mixture into a large glass or ceramic bowl with a smooth bottom.
- Refrigerate overnight, or until set.
- Make the brown sugar syrup: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the brown sugar and water. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring the syrup to a boil and remove the syrup from the heat, transfer to a liquid measuring cup, and refrigerate until cool and thickened, about 1 hour.
- Invert the raindrop cake onto a large plate or cutting board.
- Top with the roasted soybean flour and brown sugar syrup.
- Serve immediately.