Greek Spinach Pies (Spanakopita)
Take a trip to Greece with these savory pies. With a flaky phyllo dough crust and a filling of spinach, feta cheese, and fragrant herbs, these pies are a delicious and satisfying appetizer or snack.
for 8 triangles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup green onion (100 g), chopped
- 15 oz fresh spinach (420 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese (225 g)
- ½ cup ricotta cheese (110 g)
- ¼ cup fresh dill (10 g), chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (5 g), chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- Calories 304
- Fat 16g
- Carbs 26g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- In a large pan over medium heat, cook the green onions and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
- Add half the spinach, giving time for some to cook down before adding the rest.
- Once the spinach has cooked down, transfer to a medium mixing bowl to cool slightly.
- Add the feta, ricotta, egg, dill, parsley, salt and pepper, and mix until evenly spread.
- Set in refrigerator.
- Lay out one sheet of phyllo dough on a dry surface. Using a pastry brush, coat evenly with olive oil.
- Add another sheet of phyllo dough on top of the oiled sheet and repeat the oiling process. Continue until there is a stack of 4 oiled sheets. Repeat process on a new stack with remaining 4 sheets.
- Cut your dough into 4 sections using a pizza cutter.
- With a single section, add a spoonful of your spinach mix and begin folding over your pastry, brushing each fold with oil. Repeat this process for the remaining sections.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.