98% would make again
Homemade Chicken Shawarma With Ben Stiller And Ahmed Badr
Shawarma is a Middle Eastern dish that’s become a popular street food around the world, but it’s easy enough to make in your own kitchen. This recipe calls for boneless skinless chicken thighs that are marinated in a fragrant mixture of spices. Bake the chicken in the oven, then toss it into pita bread with cucumber, tomatoes, pickles, and a homemade white sauce made with Greek yogurt and lemon juice.
for 4 servings
- 2 ½ lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (1.1 kg), trimmed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup whole milk greek yogurt (245 g)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- pita bread, warmed
- cucumber, sliced
- tomato, sliced
- Calories 569
- Fat 31g
- Carbs 13g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 60g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add the chicken thighs and coat evenly.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours
- Prepare the sauce by adding all sauce ingredients to a small bowl. Mix together and chill until ready to serve.
- Adjust the oven rack about 6 inches (15 cm) from the top heat source in your oven, then preheat the broiler.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and a wire rack.
- Place chicken in single layer on prepared wire rack, with the smooth sides down. Broil until chicken is well browned and registers at least 165˚F (74˚C), about 16-20 minutes. You may need to rotate the sheet pan halfway through if your broiler heats unevenly. Remove and rest the chicken for 5 minutes before handling, and turn off the oven.
- While chicken rests, warm your pitas in the still-warm oven for a few minutes.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips and transfer to platter.
- Serve with sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, pickles, prepared yogurt sauce, and warm pita.