97% would make again
Honey-Garlic Shrimp Chow Mein
featured in Chow Mein 4 Ways
A delicious and easy-to-make stir fry dish made with shrimp, veggies, and egg noodles, tossed in a sweet and savory honey garlic sauce. Perfect for a weeknight dinner.
May 15, 2023
for 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- ¼ cup soy sauce (60 mL)
- ½ cup honey (170 g)
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp (455 g), peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 1 package chow mein noodle, hong kong style pan fried noodles, par cooked according to package instructions
- 1 cup white onion (150 g), sliced
- 1 cup broccoli floret (150 g)
- ½ cup carrot (60 g), julienned
- ½ cup cabbage (50 g)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- scallion, for garnish
- Calories 627
- Fat 13g
- Carbs 96g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 49g
- Protein 33g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a 2-cup (480ml) liquid measuring cup, combine the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and honey.
- Pour about ⅓ cup (80 ml) of sauce over the shrimp in a medium bowl and toss to coat. Reserve the rest of the sauce. Cover the shrimp with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- In a wok or deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, then add the par-cooked noodles. Cook for 1-2 minutes, allowing the noodles to crisp, then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same wok, heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, then add the onion, broccoli, carrots, and ⅓ cup (80 ml) of the sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the cabbage and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 minutes more, or until the vegetables have softened.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the wok and add the remaining cooking oil to the empty side, followed by the marinated shrimp. Cook for 1 minute without disturbing, then flip the shrimp over and cook for another 2 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and their tails have curled in.
- Mix the cooked shrimp with the vegetables and add the crispy chow mein noodles and the remaining sauce. Toss gently and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until everything is well combined. Garnish with sliced scallions.