96% would make again
Veggie-Packed Chow Mein
featured in Chow Mein 4 Ways
A healthier version of the classic dish made with lots of veggies like bell peppers, carrots, and cabbage, tossed in a flavorful sauce with egg noodles. Quick and easy to make.
May 15, 2023
for 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 1 package chow mein noodle, hong kong style pan fried noodles, par cooked according to package instructions
- ½ cup onion (75 g), sliced
- ½ cup bell pepper (50 g)
- ½ cup broccoli floret (75 g)
- ½ cup carrot (60 g), julienned
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ½ cup cabbage (50 g), chopped
- ½ cup shiitake mushroom (40 g), thinly sliced
- ½ cup snow pea (75 g)
- ⅓ cup corn (60 g)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice wine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup bean sprout (50 g)
- scallion, sliced, for garnish
- Calories 343
- Fat 8g
- Carbs 58g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 10g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a wok or deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, then add the par-cooked noodles. Cook for 1-2 minutes, allowing the noodles to crisp, then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same wok, heat the remaining tablespoon of cooking oil over medium-high heat and add the onion, bell pepper, broccoli, and carrot. Stir and cook for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Stir and continue to cook for 2 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, snow peas, and corn.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch. Mix with a fork to dissolve the cornstarch, then add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice wine, sugar, and white pepper. Mix well.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables. Mix well and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the crispy noodles to the wok, mix well and add bean sprouts. Toss gently and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until everything is well-combined. Garnish with sliced scallions.