87% would make again
featured in 13 Vegan Versions Of Your Favorite Desserts
for 8 servings
- 2 cups sugar (400 g)
- ½ cup light corn syrup (110 g)
- ⅓ cup water (80 mL)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate (225 g)
- sea salt, to taste
- Calories 267
- Fat 8g
- Carbs 52g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 49g
- Protein 1g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Line a 9"x9" (23cmx23cm) baking dish with parchment paper and grease thoroughly.
- Set aside a metal whisk and one Tablespoon of baking soda.
- In a large saucepan (bigger the better - as this will more than triple in size) over medium/high heat–combine sugar, corn syrup, and water.
- Stir to incorporate, then leave to boil. Insert candy thermometer and continue to heat–without stirring–until the mixture reaches 300˚F (150˚C).
- Remove from heat and ~working quickly~…add the baking soda and quickly whisk into the sugar syrup (whisking for no more than five seconds–to prevent deflating the toffee). The mixture will begin to expand, quickly pour it into the prepared pan and leave to set DO NOT MOVE for one to two hours.
- Once the toffee has cooled and set, remove from pan and using a blunt object, shatter the toffee into bite size pieces.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 75-90 seconds. Make sure to stop and stir after every 30 seconds.
- Dip the toffee pieces in chocolate and place on a lined baking tray. Finish with a sprinkle of sea salt and place in the refrigerator to cool for 15 minutes.