Japanese Pork Cutlet (Tonkatsu) With Curry
This Japanese pork cutlet tonkatsu with curry is a delicious fusion of crispy fried pork cutlet served with a rich and aromatic curry sauce. The tender and juicy pork pairs perfectly with the savory and slightly sweet curry sauce, making it a hearty and satisfying meal that's perfect for any occasion.
for 4 servings
- 4 cups white rice (920 g), cooked
- 4 boneless pork chops
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 shiso leaves
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup flour (60 g)
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs (150 g)
- oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ onion, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 3 cups water (720 mL)
- ⅓ cup japanese curry paste (75 g)
- Calories 1451
- Fat 59g
- Carbs 155g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 71g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Season the pork chops on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Cut a large slit through the side of the pork chops.
- Place the cheese in the pocket of the pork chop. Place a slice of mozzarella on top of a shiso leaf, then fold it in half.
- Repeat with the remaining pork chops.
- Dredge the pork in the flour, shaking off excess. Dip the pork in the egg, then roll evenly in the bread crumbs then back into the egg, then back into the bread crumbs.
- Repeat with the other pork chops.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat until about 360°F (185˚C).
- Fry the pork chops one at a time until golden brown, then drain on a paper towel.
- Sauté the onions until translucent, then add the potatoes and carrots. Cook for about 1 minute, then add the water, bringing to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the curry paste, then stir until dissolved.
- Cook for another 10 minutes on low heat, then set aside.
- Slice the pork cutlets into ½-inch (1-cm) slices.
- To serve, place the pork cutlet slices over the rice, then pour a generous serving of curry on half of the pork.
- Your favorite recipes are just a click away. Download the Tasty app to save and organize your favorites.