90% would make again
Loaded Queso In A Tortilla Bowl
featured in Tasty's Best Dinners Of 2020
June 10, 2019
for 8 servings
- 1 flour tortilla
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 mL)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb flank steak (455 g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 jalapeñoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk (240 mL)
- 4 cups cheddar cheese (400 g)
- guacamole, to serve
- tomato, diced, to serve
- sour cream, to serve
- fresh cilantro, to serve
- tortilla chip, to serve
- Calories 588
- Fat 42g
- Carbs 11g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 40g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat an oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- Place a flour tortilla over an oven-safe bowl. Place another oven-safe bowl over it. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the bowls and set the tortilla bowl aside.
- In a shallow container, place olive oil, lime juice, cumin, paprika, garlic powder chili powder and salt. Mix well.
- Place the flank steak in the spice mixture, rubbing until fully coated. Marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Heat a cast iron pan or stainless steel pan over high heat. Coat with olive oil and Add the steak and sear for 6-8 minutes.
- Rest the meat for 5 minutes. Cut them into a bite size. Set aside.
- In a medium size saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeños and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add milk and cook until the mixture has thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cheddar cheese ½ cup (50 g) at a time. Stir constantly until the cheese is completely melted.
- On a flat plate, spread tortilla chips. Place the tortilla bowl on top. Pour in the queso and top with chopped steak, chopped tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream and cilantro.