93% would make again
Nigerian Chicken Curry
featured in Brilliant Chicken Dishes From Around The World
for 8 servings
- 3 lb red potato (1.3 kg), quartered
- water, for boiling potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons curry powder, divided
- 4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast (1.8 kg), cut into 3 inch (7.5 cm) cubes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 10 oz frozen peas (285 g), 1 bag
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 lb green beans (455 g), ends trimmed
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 jalepeno, chopped
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- jasmine rice, cooked, for serving
- fresh parsley, chopped, for serving
- Calories 662
- Fat 14g
- Carbs 54g
- Fiber 11g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 77g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a bowl, add the potatoes, and fill the bowl with water until the potatoes are covered. Microwave on the potato setting for 10 minutes. The potatoes are done when you can pierce through them with a fork. Leave in water, and set aside until ready to use.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and 3 tablespoons of curry powder, and mix thoroughly.
- Add the cubed chicken and the onions to the pot, and mix thoroughly until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peas, red bell peppers, green beans, carrots, and jalapeño pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Add the reserved potatoes, along with 6 cups (1.4 L) of the water the potatoes were cooked in to the pot, and mix thoroughly.
- Add the salt, pepper, and the rest of the curry powder, and mix thoroughly.
- Bring the curry to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer the curry for one hour on low heat. Remove from heat.
- Serve with jasmine rice garnished with parsley.