93% would make again
Kimchi Stew (Kimchi Jjigae)
featured in I Recreated Some Of BTS' Favorite Foods
Can’t get enough of BTS? Try one of Jimin’s favorite foods: kimchi jjigae! Kimchi has been known to have many nutritional benefits and the spicy, tangy, savory flavors (the longer the kimchi is aged, the better!) will warm your soul on any day. If you’re short on time, you can substitute chicken broth for the anchovy and kelp broth.
May 10, 2021
for 2 servings
Anchovy and Kelp Broth
- 2 cups water (240 mL)
- 4 dried anchovies
- 1 dried kelp
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ¼ medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 oz pork belly (85 g), cut into 1 (2.54 cm)
- ¾ cup kimchi (80 g), drained and chopped into bite-sized pieces, juices reserved
- 1 teaspoon korean chile flakes, gochugaru
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- sea salt, to taste
- 8 oz firm tofu (225 g), cut into 1/2 in (1.2 cm)
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- white rice, steamed, for serving (optional)
- Calories 494
- Fat 34g
- Carbs 29g
- Fiber 11g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 24g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the anchovy and kelp broth: In a medium pot, combine the water, dried anchovies, and kelp. Bring to a low boil, then reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. Strain the broth and discard the solids. Set the broth aside until ready to use.
- Make the kimchi jjigae: Heat the vegetable oil in a medium pot over high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and pork belly and cook until the onions soften and the pork is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the drained, chopped kimchi and cook for 2–3 minutes, until slightly darkened.
- Add the Korean chile flakes, sugar, salt, reserved kimchi juice, and anchovy and kelp broth and stir well to combine.
- Lay the tofu and mushrooms on top of the soup and gently stir to submerge in the broth (do not break up the tofu). Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and season the soup with more salt to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the green onion and sesame oil. Serve with white rice, if desired.