97% would make again
One-Pot Spinach And Tomato Pasta
featured in 3 Meals, 1 Snack, $10 Meal Plan
for 2 servings
- 4 oz dried whole wheat penne (115 g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 1 tsp, divided
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup diced tomato (150 g), 1 can, with juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken (125 g)
- 1 cup baby spinach (40 g)
- Calories 488
- Fat 14g
- Carbs 56g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 33g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Reserve ¾ cup (175 ml) of pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta in a colander and place the pot back on the stove over medium heat
- To the pot, add the olive oil, onion, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and reserved pasta water, and simmer until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta back to the pot, along with the shredded chicken and spinach, and stir to combine and wilt the spinach.
- Store the leftovers in the fridge for the rest of the week.
- *Vegan/Vegetarian Substitution: Omit the shredded chicken.