93% would make again
Pancake Breakfast Sandwich
Shake up your morning routine with a pancake breakfast sandwich. With savory sausage patties, gooey cheese, and syrup-stuffed pancakes as buns, what more could you want?
for 4 sandwhiches
- ⅓ cup maple syrup (112 g), grade A
- 1 cup pancake mix (175 g), plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ cup milk (180 mL)
- 5 large eggs, divided
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 4 round sausage patties, (3½ inches (8 cm) wide and ¼-inch 6mm thick)
- 1 tablespoon filtered water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 slices american cheese
- 2 ring molds, or mason jar lid rings 3 1/2 (8 cm)
- Calories 698
- Fat 40g
- Carbs 47g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 22g
- Protein 34g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Line a baking sheet with a nonstick mat or parchment paper.
- In a small pan over medium heat, cook the maple syrup for 6–8 minutes, until it reaches 265°F (130°C). It will start to bubble and foam, then subside and reduce and will feel somewhat tacky with a faint burnt sugar smell. Immediately pour the reduced syrup onto the prepared baking sheet and tilt to spread into a thin layer, then let cool for 10 minutes.
- Firmly tap the baking sheet against the counter to crack the maple candy, then use your fingers to break into small shards.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F (120°C).
- Make the pancake batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the pancake mix, canola oil, milk, and 1 egg until mostly smooth (some small lumps are okay).
- Arrange 2–4 3½-inch (8 cm) ring molds in a large nonstick ovenproof skillet and liberally grease with nonstick spray. Turn the heat to medium. Add 1½-2 tablespoons of pancake batter to each mold, sprinkle with about 1 teaspoon of the maple shards, and top with another 1½ tablespoons of pancake batter. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 4 minutes, or until the bottom of the pancake is set and golden brown and bubbles appear on the surface. Flip the pancakes and cook for 2 minutes more on the other side. Lift off the ring molds and remove the pancakes from the pan, then repeat with the remaining batter to make 8 pancakes total. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you prepare the sausage.
- Wipe out the skillet used to cook the pancakes and add the sausage patties. Cook for 3–4 minutes on each side, until the internal temperature reaches 145°F (65°C). Transfer the sausage to the baking sheet with the pancakes and keep warm while you prepare the eggs.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 4 eggs, water, and salt.
- Wipe out the skillet used to cook the sausage and grease again with nonstick spray. Turn the heat to medium and heat the pan for 2 minutes, then pour in the eggs. Cook until just set on the bottom and around the edges, about 2 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for 3–4 minutes, until set on top.
- Remove the eggs from the oven and, using a rubber spatula, gently fold into a 3-inch wide omelet. Remove from the pan and cut crosswise into 4 equal pieces.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Add 4 pancakes to the pan over medium heat and top each with a slice of American cheese, a sausage patty, a piece of egg, and another pancake. Cover the pan and heat over medium heat until warmed through, 2–3 minutes.
- Serve hot.