If you love crispy tacos and potatoes, you are going to love these “tacos de papa.” Tasty producer Ivanna grew up eating these while crossing the border between Mexico and Texas.
for 12 tacos
- 5 roma tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeded
- 2 teaspoons tomato bouillon
- ½ cup water (120 mL)
- 1 lb russet potato (425 g)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dehydrated onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- ½ cup neutral oil (120 mL), for frying
- ¼ medium green cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese (70 g)
- Calories 215
- Fat 13g
- Carbs 22g
- Fiber 26g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 3g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the sauce: In a blender, combine the tomatoes, garlic, jalapeño, tomato bouillon, and water. Blend for 20 seconds, or until smooth.
- Pour the tomato sauce into a small saucepan, then simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes, until reduced by half. Remove the pot from the heat and set aside until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, make the tacos: Add the potatoes to a small pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer the potatoes to a medium bowl. Carefully remove the skins and discard. Add the butter, paprika, dehydrated onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and use a potato masher to mash until smooth and evenly combined.
- Wrap the tortillas in a damp kitchen towel or paper towels and microwave for 1 minute to warm (this will prevent the tortillas from breaking when folded).
- With a spoon, spread the potato mixture onto one side of each tortilla, then fold the other side of the tortilla over the filling to seal.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat until the temperature reaches 325°F (160°C).
- Working a few at a time, place the tacos in the hot oil and fry for 1–2 minutes, then flip and fry for another 1–2 minutes on the other side, until golden brown and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Transfer the tacos to plates and top with the cabbage, tomato sauce, and Cotija cheese. Serve hot.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.