96% would make again
featured in 4 Dinners From Tasty Japan
A Japanese-inspired dish featuring crispy tempura shrimp and vegetables served over fluffy white rice.
May 05, 2023
for 2 servings
- 4 shrimps
- sweet potato
- green bean
- kabocha pumpkin
- 1 egg
- ½ cup soda water (120 mL), cold
- ½ cup cup cake flour (60 g)
- oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- ¼ cup water (60 mL), hot
- 1 teaspoon dashi granules, japanese stock granules
- Calories 334
- Fat 17g
- Carbs 28g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 0g
- Protein 14g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Prepare shrimp by taking off shell and deveining.
- Make 4 slits down the stomach. Flip shrimp on the side and diagonally slice 4 more slits on each side. (This will keep the shrimp straight when cooked.)
- In a medium bowl, beat egg and soda water.
- Heat a pot of oil to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Then add cake flour and mix, but keep it clumpy. Do NOT over-mix.
- Dredge shrimp up to the tail and carefully place into frying oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp is fully cooked. Place tempura on paper towel to absorb oil or a wired rack to drain excess oil.
- For the dipping sauce, combine soy sauce and mirin. If using, dissolve dashi in the hot water and add to the soy sauce and mirin.
- Arrange assorted tempura on a bowl of rice.
- Nutrition Calories: 2792 Fat: 253 grams Carbs: 128 grams Fiber: 15 grams Sugars: 19 grams Protein: 17 grams