92% would make again
General Tso's Chicken Roll
Experience a delightful twist on a classic favorite with this General Tso's Chicken Roll. It's a scrumptious fusion of crispy chicken, tangy sauce, and fresh veggies, all wrapped up in a cozy blanket of sushi rice and nori.
May 05, 2023
for 3 servings
- 3 chicken breasts
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 12 snap peas
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock (480 mL)
- ¼ cup sugar (50 g)
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed with 2 teaspoons of water
- 5 cups canola oil (1.2 L), for frying
- 1 cup corn starch (125 g)
- white rice, cooked, for serving
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, for garnish
- ¼ cup scallions (25 g), sliced, for garnish
- Place a chicken breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Pound evenly to about ¼-inch (½ cm) thick, then season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place 4 snap peas and a few carrot slices at the bottom edge of the chicken, then roll up tightly and wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with the remaining chicken and vegetables.
- Chill the chicken rolls in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the sesame oil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until they are toasty.
- Add the chicken stock, sugar, chile flakes, rice vinegar, soy sauce, tomato paste, and cornstarch slurry and whisk to combine.
- Cook until the sauce coats the back of a spoon and leaves a path when you run your finger through it. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot until it reaches 350°F (180°C).
- Unwrap the chicken, then roll in the cornstarch until evenly coated.
- Fry two chicken rolls at a time for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C).
- Transfer the chicken to a wire rack to drain. If the chicken is not cooked through by the time it is golden brown on the outside, bake in the oven at 325°F (170°C) until that temperature is reached.
- Slice the chicken rolls and serve with rice alongside. Pour the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions for garnish.
- Nutrition Calories: 3534 Fat: 359 grams Carbs: 68 grams Fiber: 3 grams Sugars: 17 grams Protein: 19 grams