96% would make again
The Ultimate Waffle
featured in All Things Waffles!
August 11, 2020
for 4 servings
- 2 cups all purpose flour (250 g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk (240 mL)
- ½ cup buttermilk (120 mL)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, separated
- ⅓ cup sugar (65 g)
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- butter, for serving
- maple syrup, for serving
- Calories 493
- Fat 16g
- Carbs 70g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 16g
- Protein 14g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla, and egg yolks. Whisk until the batter just comes together (there will be some lumps).
- Add the egg whites to a medium bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until foamy. With the mixer running, gradually add the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter until just combined.
- Spray the heated waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Ladle the batter into the waffle iron, close the lid, and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions until the waffle is golden brown and crisp, 5–6 minutes. Transfer the waffle to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the waffles hot, with butter and maple syrup alongside.