4 Layers, 4 Textures, 1 Chocolate Cake
Get ready for a chocolate overload! This cake is the ultimate indulgence, with layers of rich, decadent chocolate that are sure to satisfy even the biggest sweet tooth.
August 14, 2023
73% would make again
for 12 servings
- 10 graham crackers, crushed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (150 g), plus 3 tablespoons, divided
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder (70 g), plus 4 tablespoons, divided
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (60 g)
- 2 cups whole milk (480 mL)
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream (360 mL)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Calories 316
- Fat 24g
- Carbs 21g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 13g
- Protein 5g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Line an 8-inch (20-cm) square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, and 6 tablespoons of melted butter until fully incorporated and the mixture looks rich and chocolaty.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan and press down in an even layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then let cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325˚F (160˚C).
- Separate the eggs into two large bowls.
- Add the remaining ¾ cup (150 g) of granulated sugar to the bowl with the egg yolks and whisk until pale yellow. Add the remaining ½ cup (115 g) of melted butter and the vanilla and mix until fully incorporated. Sift in the flour and ⅓ cup (40 g) of cocoa powder and mix thoroughly. Gradually add the milk, stirring continuously, until a very wet batter forms. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric hand mixer until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until medium peaks form. Whisk one-third of the egg whites into the egg yolk batter, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter over the graham cracker crust and bake for 40 minutes, or until the edges are set and the center jiggles slightly. Let cool for at least 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form and the cream has doubled in volume. Sift in the remaining 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and the powdered sugar and fold with a rubber spatula to incorporate.
- Invert the cooled cake onto a cutting board. Remove the parchment paper and flip the cake again so the graham cracker crust is on the bottom.
- Spread the chocolate whipped cream onto the cake.
- Slice and serve.
- Your favorite recipes are just a click away. Download the Tasty app to save and organize your favorites.