Air Fryer Crispy Honey Soy Tofu
Introducing honey soy tofu that’s so tasty, you won’t want to share. Pressing the tofu takes some time, but after that, the process is easy and the crispy results are worth it! Coat the tofu cubes in a simple DIY seasoning mix, air fry to crispy perfection, then toss in a delicious ginger honey soy sauce. We recommend serving it over steamed rice with your favorite vegetable alongside.
for 24 pieces
- 1 lb extra firm tofu (455 g)
- ⅓ cup potato starch (40 g)
- ½ teaspoon McCormick® ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
Ginger Honey Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce (60 mL)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (50 g)
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ tablespoons sambal
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons rice wine
- ¼ cup water (60 mL), plus more as needed
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon scallion greens, sliced
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- steamed rice
- vegetable, steamed
- Calories 48
- Fat 1g
- Carbs 8g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 2g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Prepare the tofu: Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Remove the tofu from the package and lay on the prepared baking sheet. Top with 2 more paper towels and another baking sheet and weigh down with a heavy pan or cast iron skillet. Press the tofu for 30–60 minutes to remove excess liquid before frying. This can be done up to 2 days ahead; store the pressed tofu in an airtight container until ready to use.
- After pressing, transfer the tofu to a cutting board and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the potato starch, ground ginger, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Add the tofu cubes and toss until well coated on all sides.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C). Spray the inside of the air fryer basket with nonstick spray.
- Working in batches to avoid overcrowding, shake off the excess flour from each piece of tofu and place in the air fryer. Fry for 12 minutes, flipping halfway, until crispy. Transfer to a medium bowl while you repeat with the remaining tofu.
- While the tofu fries, make the sauce: in a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, sesame oil, ginger, honey, sambal, garlic, and rice wine. Cook over medium heat until the sauce reduces and starts to thicken, 5–7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup water and the cornstarch to make a slurry. Whisk the slurry into the sauce and cook for 2–3 minutes, until thickened. If the sauce becomes too thick, thin out with water as needed.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu and toss until well coated. Save any remaining sauce for dipping if desired, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Arrange the tofu on a platter and top with the sesame seeds, scallions, and a squeeze of lime.
- Serve over steamed rice with your favorite steamed vegetable, such as broccoli.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.