Award-Winning Cuban Sandwich By El Cochinito
Experience the flavors of Havana with this Award-Winning Cuban Sandwich by El Cochinito. Packed with juicy pork, tangy pickles, and melted Swiss cheese, this sandwich is a true taste sensation.
for 20 sandwiches
- 1 ½ tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- ¼ cup garlic (35 g), grated
- 2 cups lime juice (480 mL)
- 10 lb bone-in pork butt
- salt, to taste
Cuban Sandwich (per sandwich)
- ⅓ loaf cuban bread, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic oil
- 4 slices ham
- 1 cup pulled pork (250 g)
- 2 slices cucumber pickle
- 8 oz pulled pork
- Calories 729
- Fat 49g
- Carbs 10g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 55g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the pulled pork: In a medium bowl, mix together the pepper, cumin, oregano, garlic, and lime juice. Set aside.
- Make a few incisions, 1-2 inches (2-5 cm) deep, on both sides of the pork butt, cutting against the grain. Sprinkle generously with salt all over, make sure to season inside the incisions.
- Transfer the pork butt to a roasting dish, and pour the marinade all over. Make sure the pork is well coated, including inside the incisions. Cover and marinate for 8-10 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 250˚F (120˚C).
- Roast the pork, covered, for 8-10 hours, or until the pork is tender and easily falls apart when prodded with a fork or tongs.
- Let cool enough to handle, then remove any bones, and shred the pork with tongs. Keep in the fridge up to 5 days.
- Make the Cuban sandwich: Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Set the bread open face on the prepared baking sheet and spread the mustard over one side. Top with the Swiss cheese. Brush the garlic oil on the other side of the bread. Top with the ham. Arrange the pulled pork over the cheese.
- Toast in the oven for 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Add the pickles and press the sandwich.
- Cook smarter, not harder. Use our AI chef Botatouille on the Tasty app. Download now.