90% would make again
Bacon BBQ Chicken Loaf
featured in Indoor BBQ
Inspired by instagram.com
for 6 servings
- 5 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 20 slices bacon
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (290 g), divided
- 10 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- Calories 389
- Fat 9g
- Carbs 30g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 18g
- Protein 44g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cut each chicken breast in half crosswise, then cut the larger half again horizontally, creating 3 cutlets. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, chili powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour the spice mix over the chicken cutlets and toss to coat completely in the seasoning. Set the chicken aside.
- Arrange the bacon slices in a 9x5-inch (23x13-cm) loaf pan, making sure the bottom and sides are fully covered, and that the strips hang over the sides.
- Layer in 4 seasoned chicken cutlets, 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce, 5 slices of cheddar cheese, 4 more chicken cutlets, another 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce, the green pepper, onion, 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce, the red pepper, 5 remaining cheese slices, and the remaining chicken. Then, wrap the overhanging strips of bacon over the top of the loaf.
- Cover the loaf with foil and bake for 1 hour. Then remove the foil, drain any excess fat, and bake for another 30 minutes uncovered, making sure the chicken is cooked through and the bacon is brown and crispy.
- Remove the bacon loaf from the oven and turn on the broiler. Invert the loaf onto a wire rack set atop a baking sheet and baste the loaf with the remaining barbecue sauce.
- Broil for 5 minutes, until the glaze dries slightly.
- Slice and serve with rolls or other barbecue party food.