88% would make again
Bacon Cheddar Jalapeño-Stuffed Hush Puppies
featured in Everything You Can Cook With Jalapeños
for 6 servings
- 8 oz cream cheese (225 g), room temperature
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (100 g)
- 2 jalapeñoes, seeded, minced
- 1 pack bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal (210 g)
- ½ cup all purpose flour (60 g)
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk (240 mL)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 yellow onion, grated
- oil, to fry
- Calories 422
- Fat 26g
- Carbs 32g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 13g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, jalapeños, and bacon, and use a hand mixer to blend until combined.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop out the cream cheese mixture and roll into a ball. Place onto a parchment paper-lined sheet tray and freeze for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and cayenne pepper, and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add the buttermilk, egg, and onion, and stir until combined.
- Slowly add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients, whisking until just combined. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a pot of oil to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Dip the cream cheese balls into the batter, ensuring they are fully coated on all sides.
- Add the hush puppies to the oil and fry until golden brown on all sides.
- Transfer to a wire rack or paper towel lined-plate to drain.
- Serve immediately.