98% would make again
Cajun Beef And Grits
February 24, 2021
for 4 servings
- 1 ½ lb boneless beef check roast (680 g), cut into 1 (2.54 cm) in cubes
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons neutral oil, such as canola
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, siced
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 cup diced tomato (200 g), drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Frank’s RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Cajun Seasoning
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup grits (255 g)
- 2 cups whole milk (480 mL), plus more as needed
- 2 cups water (480 mL)
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (100 g)
- scallion, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Calories 572
- Fat 33g
- Carbs 24g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 13g
- Protein 42g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the beef: Season the beef with 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Heat the oil in an Instant Pot on “Sauté” mode. Add the beef and sear on all sides, using tongs to turn the meat, 7–9 minutes total. Remove the beef from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Add the bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic to the Instant Pot and sauté for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, Frank’s RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce, McCormick Cajun Seasoning, and the remaining teaspoon of salt.
- Return the beef to the Instant Pot and stir well. Put the lid on the Instant Pot, set the pressure valve to “Sealing,” and pressure-cook for 50 minutes.
- Turn the pressure valve to “Venting” to release the pressure quickly. (Be sure to read all Instant Pot instructions carefully for safety.) Carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the beef mixture from the Instant Pot and set aside. Clean the Instant Pot insert.
- Make the grits: Generously coat the Instant Pot insert with nonstick spray. Add the butter and melt on “Sauté” mode. Add the grits and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Whisk in the milk, water, and salt. Bring mixture to a simmer, then whisk well.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot, set the pressure valve to “Sealing,” and pressure-cook for 10 minutes.
- Let pressure naturally release for 15 minutes, then turn the pressure valve to “Venting” to release the rest of the pressure. Carefully remove the lid.
- Carefully hold the Instant Pot with an oven mitt and use a silicone spatula or wooden spoon to move the grits around and release from the bottom of the pot, then whisk well to incorporate.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese. Let cheese melt for 1 minute, then stir again. (If the grits get too thick before serving, stir in a bit of milk to loosen.)
- To serve, spoon the grits into shallow bowls. Scoop the beef mixture on top. Drizzle with Frank’s RedHot® and garnish with the scallions.