92% would make again
Caprese Mac ‘N’ Cheese
Elevate your mac 'n cheese game with this indulgent twist on a classic dish. The creamy pasta is filled with the flavors of sweet tomatoes, fragrant basil, and gooey mozzarella cheese, making it a perfect comfort food dish for any occasion.
May 15, 2023
for 4 servings
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (455 g), uncooked
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (55 g), 1/2 stick
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (30 g)
- 3 ½ cups whole milk (840 mL)
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cups baby spinach (80 g)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (200 g), divided
- ½ lb fresh mozzarella cheese (225 g), sliced, optional
- 3 small tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Calories 831
- Fat 28g
- Carbs 103g
- Fiber 16g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 35g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, melt the butter over low heat until foamy. Add the flour and stir until completely smooth and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- While stirring, gradually add the milk and cook until the sauce is thickened, about 4 minutes. Season with the paprika, pepper, and salt.
- Fold in the spinach and stir until wilted. Add 1½ cups (150 g) of shredded mozzarella and stir until completely melted.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir to coat in the sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded mozzarella evenly over the pasta, then top with the fresh mozzarella if using. Arrange the tomato slices on top.
- Bake until browned and bubbling, about 25 minutes.
- Top with basil before serving.