Experience a fiesta of flavors with this scrumptious Carnitas Salad, perfect for a light yet satisfying meal. Tender, slow-cooked pork meets fresh veggies and zesty lime dressing for a mouthwatering combination that'll have you coming back for seconds.
for 6 servings
- 3 lb pork shoulder (1.5 kg)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup lime juice (120 mL)
- ½ cup orange juice (120 mL)
- 2 cups chicken broth (480 mL)
- 6 cups mixed greens (210 g)
- 1 cup shredded carrots (110 g)
- 1 cup corn (175 g)
- 1 cup black beans (170 g)
- avocado, diced
- ½ cup dressing of choice (120 mL), optional
- Calories 947
- Fat 71g
- Carbs 22g
- Fiber 28g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 57g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, season the pork with salt and pepper. Toss until well-coated.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over high heat for 5 minutes, until very hot.
- Working in batches, sear the pork on each side for 1 minute, until a brown crust forms.
- Return all of the pork to the pot, then add the chili powder, oregano, cumin, bay leaf, garlic, and onion. Toss to combine. Add the lime juice, orange juice, and chicken broth. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-high, and cook until the meat is tender, 1 hour.
- Remove the pork from the pot and shred using 2 forks. Let the carnitas cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the mixed greens, carnitas, carrots, corn, black beans, and avocado. Toss well. Add dressing, if desired.
- Divide between plates and serve.
- Cook smarter, not harder. Use our AI chef Botatouille on the Tasty app. Download now.