Slow Cooker Barbacoa-Style Beef Tacos
These aren’t your average beef tacos. Made with succulent beef chuck roast slow-cooked over eight hours in a blend of chipotles and herbs, this dish will be a crowd pleaser at every family dinner or potluck. If you somehow have any leftover barbacoa, toss it into your next salad or serve it with a side of rice and beans.
8 hr 30 min
8 hr 30 min
for 8 servings
- 3 lb beef chuck roast (1.3 kg)
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- oil, a drizzle
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup beef broth (120 mL)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (60 mL)
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (60 mL)
- 3 bay leaves
For serving, optional
- flour tortilla, or corn tortillas
- rice, cooked
- pico de gallo
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro leaf
- avocado, sliced
- Calories 395
- Fat 16g
- Carbs 7g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 1g
- Protein 54g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Cut the beef into 6-8 large chunks. Season all over with pepper and salt.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the beef, in batches if necessary, on all sides, until browned. Transfer the seared meat to a slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, cloves, salt, pepper, beef broth, apple cider vinegar, and lime juice. Mix well.
- Pour the marinade over the beef in the slow cooker and add the bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, until the meat can be shredded easily.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves. Remove and shred the beef, then return to the slow cooker to marinate in the sauce for at least 10 more minutes, or until ready to serve.
- To serve, add the shredded beef to your choice of tortillas with your favorite toppings.
- Cook smarter, not harder. Use our AI chef Botatouille on the Tasty app. Download now.