Cinnamon Apple Quinoa Skillet Bake
featured in 5 Fresh Fall Recipes To Try This Season
This hearty breakfast bake is made with fluffy quinoa, sweet apples, and a touch of cinnamon, baked to golden perfection. Perfect for meal prep or a cozy brunch with friends.
May 04, 2023
74% would make again
for 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, divided
- 2 granny smith apples, diced, plus 1, sliced, divided
- 1 ½ cups quinoa (255 g), uncooked, rinsed well
- ½ cup walnuts (50 g), chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk (720 g)
- ½ cup applesauce (125 g)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup (110 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- Calories 313
- Fat 13g
- Carbs 43g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 18g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- In a large cast-iron skillet, melt 1 teaspoon of coconut oil over medium-low heat. Add the diced apples and let caramelize slightly, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove the apples from the skillet and set aside.
- Melt the remaining teaspoon of coconut oil in the skillet, then add the quinoa and cook until it is well browned and smells toasty, about 10 minutes.
- Return the apples to the skillet, along with the walnuts. Stir to combine, then remove the skillet from the heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then add the almond milk, applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk well to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the skillet with the apple quinoa mixture. Arrange the sliced apple on top in a decorative pattern.
- Bake for 1 hour, until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Nutrition Information, per serving - Calories: 300, Carbs: 45 grams, Dietary fiber: 5 grams, Sodium: 52 mg, Total fat: 10 grams, Total sugar: 21 grams, Total protein: 8 grams
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.