for 6 sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups finely shredded green cabbage (200 g)
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- ½ cup mayonnaise (120 g)
- ½ lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups canola oil (960 g)
- 6 6-ounce mahi mahi fillets, skin removed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs (120 g)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 brioche buns, toasted
- 2 avocados, pitted and thinly sliced
- 28 oz Bush’s® Original Baked Beans (825 g), warmed on the stovetop
- Make the slaw: Add the vinegar, mayonnaise, salt, sugar, garlic powder, and black pepper to a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add the cabbage and carrot and toss to coat in the dressing. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the aioli: Add the mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, and garlic to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the crispy fish: Add the canola oil to a Dutch oven or high-walled pan and heat over medium heat until the temperature reaches 325°F (160°C).
- Pat the mahi mahi fillets dry, then season on all sides with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Add the eggs to a shallow dish and beat to combine. In a separate shallow dish, combine the panko bread crumbs, remaining teaspoon of salt, remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon of black pepper, the onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Coat each mahi mahi fillet in the eggs, then in the panko mixture. Place on a tray or baking sheet.
- Working in batches of two fillets at a time, fry the fish in the hot oil for 5-8 minutes, until the breading is golden brown and the fish is opaque and flaky. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Spread some of the aioli onto the toasted brioche buns, then place a few slices of avocado onto the bottom buns. Add a piece of fried fish to each bottom bun and top with slaw and the top buns.
- Serve the fish sandwiches with Bush’s® Original Baked Beans alongside.