Crispy Honey-Glazed Fried Chicken
This fried chicken is everything you want in a guilty pleasure meal: crispy, juicy, and sticky sweet. The honey glaze is the perfect balance to the spicy batter. Serve with side of creamy coleslaw and mashed potatoes to round out this indulgent feast.
for 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cayenne powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (375 g)
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 3 cups buttermilk (720 mL)
- peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
- honey, for serving
- Calories 443
- Fat 11g
- Carbs 49g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 31g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl, add the salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, and cayenne and mix until combined. In a another medium bowl, combine half of the spice mix with the flour, mixing until the spices are evenly distributed.
- Add the chicken to a large bowl and sprinkle with the remaining spice blend. Mix until all the chicken pieces are evenly coated.
- Pour the buttermilk over the chicken and stir until the residual spices from the chicken have blended in with the buttermilk to create a light orange color. Marinate the chicken in the fridge for 2 hours, or overnight.
- Heat the oil to about 325°F (160°C) in a large cast-iron skillet.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip them back into the buttermilk mixture, then back into the flour. Make sure to shake off excess flour or it’ll burn while frying.
- Fry 3-4 chicken pieces at a time, occasionally turning them over. Cook for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown, crispy, and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C). Rest the cooked chicken pieces on a wire rack to let excess oil drain off.
- Drizzle the chicken with honey, then serve.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.