Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken
One thing we’ll say about this popcorn chicken is that you won’t be able to stop popping it in your mouth! Dredged in spiced flour, buttermilk, and panko, then air fried to crispy perfection, it’s savory, tangy, crunchy, and great for sharing (if you can bear to!).
for 8 servings
- 1 cup all purpose flour (125 g)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk (120 mL)
- 2 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs (285 g)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast (455 g), cut into 1 in (2.54 cm)
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- ketchup, for serving
- Calories 274
- Fat 3g
- Carbs 33g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 24g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Add the panko to a third medium bowl.
- Season the chicken cubes with salt and pepper. Dip 1 piece of chicken at a time in the flour mixture, making sure to fully coat each piece and shaking off any excess. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture. Then, coat the chicken in the panko. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C). Spray the basket with nonstick spray.
- Working in batches, arrange the chicken in the basket, making sure the pieces are not touching. Cook until light golden, 5 minutes, then flip the chicken over and continue cooking until cooked through and golden brown, 5 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Serve the popcorn chicken with ketchup.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.