for 4 servings
- 2 cups canola oil (480 mL), for frying
- 24 zucchini blossoms
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour (190 g)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 ¾ cups cold water (420 mL)
- Sauce, of your choice, for dipping
- In large, high-walled skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 375˚F (190˚C).
- Using a paring knife, remove the spiny leaves around the base of the zucchini blossoms. If there are long stems, trim to about ½-inch long.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and salt.
- Pour the water into the flour mixture and stir to combine, but do not overmix. The batter should have the consistency of heavy cream.
- Working in batches, dip each zucchini blossom in the batter, letting any excess drip off, then gently lower into the hot oil and fry for 90 seconds. Flip and fry for 60 seconds on the other side, until golden brown.
- Remove the blossoms from the oil and transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Season lightly with salt.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
Have a recipe of your own to share?