94% would make again
How To Make Crispy Tempura At Home
Rie teaches you all the tips and tricks you need to make perfect tempura at home every time. Try it with some of the classics as shown here, or swap in your own favorite vegetables and seafood.
June 27, 2019
for 4 servings
- 1 cup cake flour (100 g), sifted, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup ice cold water (240 mL)
- 1 large egg, cold
- 4 jumbo shrimps, peeled and deveined, tail-on
- 2 japanese eggplants
- canola oil, for frying
- 3 oz kabocha squash (85 g), sliced into wedges
- Calories 328
- Fat 9g
- Carbs 52g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 10g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the tempura batter: Sift the flour into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and water until lightly frothy. Add the flour in 3 additions, stirring with chopsticks just to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the shrimp: Trim the tails, then use your knife to scrape the dirt and water from the remaining tail shell. Cut small incisions crosswise on both the top and bottom of the shrimp. This will prevent the shrimp from curling up as it cooks. Do not cut too deep, or the shrimp will fall apart. Pat the shrimp dry between paper towels, then refrigerate until ready to fry.
- Prepare the eggplant: Trim the stem, then cut in half lengthwise. Leaving the top ½ inch (1 ¼ cm) intact, cut 5-6 ½-inch (¼ cm) thick slices down the length of the eggplant.
- Fry the kabocha squash: Fill a medium pot about halfway with oil. Heat over medium heat until it reaches 320°F (160°C).
- Coat the kabocha wedges lightly with flour, dusting off any excess. Dip the wedges in the tempura batter. Fry in the hot oil for 4-5 minutes, or until tender. Let any excess oil drip off, then transfer to a wire rack set over a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Fry the eggplant: Increase the oil temperature to 340°F (170°C).
- Coat the eggplant lightly with flour, dusting off any excess. Dip in the tempura batter. Fry in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to the wire rack to drain.
- Fry the shrimp: Increase the oil temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- Lightly coat the shrimp with flour, dusting off any excess. Dip in the tempura batter. Add the shrimp to the hot oil. Dip your fingers into the tempura batter and drizzle over the shrimp. This will make them extra crunchy. Fry the shrimp for 3-4 minutes, or until cooked through. Transfer to the wire rack to drain.
- Serve the tempura immediately with dipping sauce or seasoned salt alongside.