96% would make again
Spicy Korean Chicken
featured in Fried Chicken from Around the World
June 10, 2019
for 2 servings
- 10 chicken wings, or drumettes
- 1 cup cornstarch (125 g)
- oil, for frying
- sesame seed, to serve
- ½ cup cornstarch (65 g)
- ½ cup flour (65 g)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey (85 g)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons gochujang, (Korean chili paste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- Calories 1294
- Fat 52g
- Carbs 164g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 53g
- Protein 43g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Mix the ingredients for the batter in a bowl until smooth with no lumps.
- Heat oil in a pot to 340°F (170°C).
- Dip a chicken wing into the cornstarch, shaking off excess, then dredge the wing into the batter, dripping off excess.
- Fry half of the wings at a time for about 5-7 minutes, until light golden. The oil will drop to about 320°F (160°C).
- Drain the wings and increase the heat. Heat oil to about 375°F (190°C).
- Fry the wings a second time until golden brown and crispy. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan, combine all the ingredients for the sauce and stir until bubbling. Toss in the wings.
- Nutrition Calories: 2805 Fat: 254 grams Carbs: 131 grams Fiber: 1 grams Sugars: 49 grams Protein: 8 grams