This rich, delicious chai not only tastes amazing and stuns visually with its bright yellow color, but may also improve your health! Turmeric is said to have many healing properties, including reducing inflammation, helping with digestion, and even improving skin clarity!
for 3 drinks
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 4 whole green cardamom pods
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- 1 ½ inch fresh turmeric, peeled and grated, (about 1½ tablespoons) or 1½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 ½ inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 ½ cups whole milk (360 mL)
- 2 teaspoons black tea bag
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or honey
- ground cinnamon, for garnish
- Calories 65
- Fat 1g
- Carbs 10g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 3g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the cinnamon stick and cardamom pods to a mortar and crush with a pestle into small pieces.
- Add the water, turmeric, ginger, black peppercorns, and crushed cinnamon and cardamom to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then immediately reduce the heat to low and continue gently simmering for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the milk, add the tea, and increase the heat to medium. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to low and gently simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the pot from the heat, stir in the sugar, and let steep for 3 minutes.
- Strain the chai through a fine-mesh sieve into a heatproof spouted measuring cup, making sure to squeeze out all of the liquid. Discard the solids.
- Divide the chai between 2 mugs. Garnish with ground cinnamon, then serve immediately.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.