Tia’s Mexican Ponche As Made By Ellen Bennett
Ellen's Mexican ponche is the ultimate winter warmer! Loaded with fresh fruit and fragrant spices, it's the perfect way to cozy up on a chilly evening.
for 8 servings
- 10 cups water (2.5 L)
- 3 whole star anise
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- ½ cup piloncillo (100 g), plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons raisin
- 10 red crab apples
- 1 bag sugar cane, pre-cut
- 6 guavas, halved
- 10 tejocotes
- 3 cups apple juice (720 mL), plus more to taste
- In a medium pot, bring the water to a rolling boil over high heat. Add the star anise, cinnamon, piloncillo, and salt and stir to dissolve the salt and piloncillo. Add the raisins, apples, sugar cane, guavas, and tejocote. Boil for 5–6 minutes, then remove the pot from the heat.
- Cover the pot and steep for about 30 minutes, until the flavors have melded.
- Return the mixture to a boil. Add the apple juice and stir to combine. Adjust the sweetness and apple flavor by adding more apple juice or piloncillo, if needed.
- Serve warm.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.