Korean Rice Balls (Jumeokbap)
This dish literally translates to “fist rice.” It’s a super easy, kid-friendly dish that is packed with umami and savory flavors. We dare you to try and eat just one–it’s hard!
for 12 balls
- 2 cups uncooked sushi rice (400 g)
- 3 cups water (720 mL)
- 1 ½ cups ground beef (300 g), 90%
- 2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 2 ½ teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons nori furikake, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- sesame seed, for garnish
- Calories 165
- Fat 4g
- Carbs 20g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 17g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the sushi rice to a fine-mesh sieve and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Add the rice and 3 cups of water to a rice cooker. Cook according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once the rice has finished cooking, let cool until safe to handle.
- Meanwhile, add the ground beef, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, the brown sugar, garlic, green onions, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, and black pepper to a medium bowl and mix well to combine. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, or until the rice has cooled.
- Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef mixture and cook until the meat is browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked rice, furikake, remaining ½ tablespoon soy sauce, remaining ½ teaspoon sesame oil, and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt and mix until well combined.
- Add the cooked ground beef to the rice mixture and gently stir until evenly incorporated. Season with more salt to taste.
- Shape the rice balls: Scoop ¼ cup of the rice mixture into your hands and roll into a ball. Repeat with the remaining rice mixture.
- Garnish the rice balls with sesame seeds and furikake.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.