Spaghetti And Meatballs
This classic Italian dish features tender spaghetti tossed in a rich tomato sauce, served with juicy meatballs and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Perfect for a cozy and comforting dinner with family and friends.
for 6 servings
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 mL)
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 oz tomato paste (340 g)
- 55 oz crushed tomato (1.5 kg), 2 cans
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- 1 lb ground pork (455 g)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (115 g)
- ½ cup ricotta cheese (125 g)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (10 g), chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (55 g)
- ¼ cup milk (60 mL)
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb dried spathetti (455 g)
- fresh basil, chopped
- grated parmesan cheese, fresh
- Calories 1228
- Fat 51g
- Carbs 124g
- Fiber 13g
- Sugar 26g
- Protein 72g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Set a wire rack over a baking sheet and grease with nonstick spray.
- Make the marinara sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and season with salt, pepper, and the red pepper flakes. Cook until soft and caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Set aside ⅓ cup (50 G) of the cooked onions and garlic for the meatballs and let cool.
- Stir the tomato paste into the onions and cook until browned and aromatic, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, dried basil, dried oregano, and dried parsley. Stir together and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Make the meatballs: In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, reserved onion and garlic mixture, bread crumbs, ricotta, parsley, eggs, Parmesan, milk, salt, and pepper. Mix with your hands until well combined.
- Shape about 2 ounces (55 G) of meat at a time into balls and set on the prepared wire rack.
- Bake the meatballs for 20 minutes, until the outsides are browned and the centers are tender and juicy and reach about 155˚F (68˚C).
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add a generous pinch of salt. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, 7-10 minutes, until al dente. Stir occasionally to keep the noodles from sticking together.
- Drain the pasta and add it directly to the simmering marinara sauce. Reserve some pasta water, in case you need it to loosen the sauce. Stir the pasta into the sauce until fully coated.
- Add the pasta to serving bowls, top with the meatballs, and garnish with Parmesan, fresh basil, and cracked pepper.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.